CUSD #305 expressed excitement to begin their first phase of returning athletes to campus and working with the coaching staff last week. The district’s plan follows the recommendations set forth by the IHSA, which was developed in coordination with ISBE and the IDPH.
Superintendent Shannon Cheek stated, “We are currently making sure those guidelines are understood by the sponsors/coaches and that we are providing them the necessary information to move forward. Our focus and concern is always going to be the safety of our staff and students so we are making sure there is a clear understanding of expectations before moving forward.”
Cheek continued, “Staff will be utilizing signup sheets to help coordinate the social distancing requirements, and they will also be utilizing a check in and check out system to monitor the well-being of the participants.”
Outdoor workouts are highly encouraged over indoor workouts, to reduce transmission.
Students are limited to 3 hours of participation per day.
The following requirements must be followed when conducting voluntary strength and conditioning sessions:
• Maintain social distance by being 6 feet apart.
• Masks shall be worn when social distance cannot be maintained.
• Follow gathering guidelines of groups of 10 or less including the coach and medical personnel.
• Groups of 10 or less must be pre-determined.
• Once groups are determined, students may not switch from one group to another based upon sport. Students that participate in multiple sports for the year are encouraged to be grouped, for summer participation, in their fall sport.
• Interaction between groups shall be avoided.
• Sessions can only include weightlifting, running, and exercises designed to promote physical fitness.
• Sport-specific drills are not permitted, and sport-specific equipment may not be used.
• Implement diligent and effective cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched objects and surfaces following the guidance of the CDC and IDPH.
• Coaches must maintain a daily record of what athletes are participating, when, symptoms they may present.
Athletes should be monitored at start of practice for temperature >100.4F/37C or symptoms of COVID-19 (fevers, chills, cough, muscle aches, headache, sore throat, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of taste or smell).
If symptoms are present, they should not participate in practice and should be referred to a physician for evaluation and testing.
• Free weight exercises that require a spotter cannot be conducted while honoring social distancing norms. Safety measures in all forms must be strictly enforced in the weight room.
• Players shall bring their own water bottle, shoes, towels, and other personal equipment. The use of locker rooms, shared water coolers with cups, and water fountains will be prohibited during this stage.